Obamacare (also known as The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act) (H.R. 3590) is here. Congress has passed it. The President has signed it, and the court has ruled it constitutional. It will affect the lives of every American citizen in one way or another. I applaud President Obama's effort to provide affordable healthcare for every American citizen. It certainly is needed. However, the present plan, with all its requirements and regulations, could hurt millions of people, particularly seniors and baby boomers.
Speaker of the House Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi stated in March 2010, "But we have to pass the healthcare bill so that you can find out what's in it." Our government leaders passed a law without knowing what was in it. Over 2,700 pages of legal jargon and regulations were rushed through Congress. Now, many are waking up to what is in Obamacare.
The information below is a summary of my own personal research of Obamacare through books and internet articles. I initially thought that it was Republican resistance against the President, until I researched the law myself. For full details and Google references of each point, please visit www.churchmemphis.org. Several main points below cite actual sections in the law. You can also view the law in its entirety at http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-111hr3590enr/pdf/BILLS-111hr3590enr.pdf.
Only the positive talking points were presented to American citizens, most of which were very promising:
THE POSITIVE TALKING POINTS THAT WERE GIVEN ON OBAMACARE
- Obamacare is supposed to reduce spiraling healthcare costs.
- It would allow citizens to keep their doctors.
- We could keep our current insurances.
- It would lower our premiums.
- It would provide affordable coverage to all Americans.
- It would prevent insurance companies from dropping our coverage if we get sick.
- It would prevent insurers from excluding us due to preexisting conditions.
- Children can stay on their parents' insurance until the age of 26.
- All Americans will now have healthcare.
THE FOLLOWING LIST OUTLINES THE PROBLEMS WITH OBAMACARE.
1. Government Now Controls Our Health (Section 1311)
- Secretary of Health and Human Services has power.
- Will now have the power to control our health and lives.
- They will have the power to reduce preventative services (Section 4104A).
- They will possibly not allow routine annual mammograms (Section 4105A).
- Will control what doctors can and cannot do for us
- Will have the power to impose any regulation for healthcare
- Will dictate how privately insured patients are treated
2. Individual Mandates (Section 1501)
- All Americans mandated to have health insurance beginning January 2014.
- Penalty is required if no insurance is purchased.
- First year penalty is $95. If we do not enroll, penalty will rise until it reaches $695.
- We must show proof of health insurance to IRS when filing taxes.
- The IRS can hold refund checks if penalty is not paid (Section 5000A).
3. Employer Mandate (Section 6056, 1513)
- Most American businesses must offer government-approved health insurance.
- Those with 50 or more workers (Section 1513)
- If businesses do not comply, they must pay a federal tax beginning January 2015.
- Jobs will be destroyed because businesses will not hire; insurance is too expensive.
- Many workers could be laid off and lose hours and health care benefits.
- Employer's penalty will be $2,000 per subsidized employee in state exchanges.
- The mandate adds $1.79 per hour to the cost of hiring a fulltime worker.
- Many businesses will pay fines rather than provide healthcare.
4. State Health Exchanges (Section 1311)
- A one-size fits-all government-designed health plan begins October 2013.
- State exchanges provided by private insurance companies, regional insurer, not-for-profit companies, and employers.
- All private plans must include what federal government requires.
- Benefits will be decided by the Secretary of Health and Human Services.
- If employers drop your coverage, then you must enroll in Medicaid or buy a qualified plan through state insurance exchange.
5. High-Income Earning Citizens
- This section applies to taxpayers who earn more than $200,000-$250,000 per couple.
- They will have to pay a new 3.8% tax on unearned income.
- Tax is in addition to the capital gains tax.
6. Doctors (Section 1311, h-1)
- Government will now dictate how doctors can treat all patients.
- This includes privately insured patients.
- The Secretary of Health and Human Services will standardize what doctors can or cannot do (Section 1311 H-1).
- Doctors can expect lower pay because government will now determine it.
- Reduced pay for doctors could lead to greater shortages of doctors.
- Our doctors may have to choose between doing what is right for us, or avoiding government penalties.
7. Seniors/Baby Boomers
- Medicare will be cut, eliminating billions of dollars intended for seniors' care.
- Seniors will now receive less care.
- Seniors' Medicare cuts will be used to fund more than half of Obamacare.
- Medicare cuts will mean that doctors will not accept it because it does not pay much.
- Where will seniors go? Seniors will learn how hard it is to get a doctor.
- Seniors will get an average of $1431 less care per year.
- Medicare cuts could lead to fewer nurses, longer waits for MRIs and tests.
- It may lead to less rehab, therapy, aftercare, and possibly no re-admittance to hospitals etc.
- It could lead to higher death rates for seniors. Many will be sent home or left to die.
- Many people will have to foot the cost of their aging parents' healthcare.
8. Hospitals (Section 3000)
- Hospitals will receive bonuses for spending less money for seniors.
- Obamacare will penalize hospitals if they spend more on seniors.
- Hospitals will also be penalized for recommending physical therapy after leaving the hospital.
- Hospitals are rushing the elderly out even now.
- Hospitals will encourage families not to provide further care for the aged and dying.
- Medicare cuts means that hospitals have less money for senior care and aftercare.
- This means that many seniors will not recover from heart problems, strokes, and body part replacements.
- Patients will wait longer, and cutbacks will reduce diagnostic testing.
- Hospitals will offer fewer nurses.
9. African Americans (Section 3000)
- Studies show that African Americans are more likely to be readmitted to hospitals than other patients.
- Many poor elderly African Americans more than likely will not receive quality care and aftercare.
- It could lead to many more blacks being unfairly treated.
- Many do not have family to look after them in these hospitals.
- African Americans with heart attacks will not be readmitted.
- Employers will no longer be required to cover employees' spouses.
- It will lead to employers dropping coverage of employee spouses.
- Employers will only offer health insurance for dependents (children).
- The law defines dependents as children and not spouses.
- It will force spouses out of family plans to buy their own insurance.
- UPS is dropping coverage for 15,000 spouses because of Obamacare.
11. Review Panels to Determine Care (Section 3403, 10320)
- It's called the Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB).
- They will determine what doctors are paid.
- They will determine cuts to be made for care.
- If a hip replacement costs more than what is allotted, doctors may not do it.
- If a 76-year-old patient needs a hip replacement, the IPAB probably will not allow it.
- Why spend government money on someone who has lived most of his/her life?
- They will determine who gets care, who does not get care, and how much care is received. It's called rationing.
- Government refused ten-year-old Sarah Murnaghan a life-saving lung transplant. This is just a sample of what is to come.
- This is why they are called death panels.
- Government will provide advanced care planning consultations; meaning counseling for death, not life.
- This means that families will be pressured to plan for loved ones to die instead of doing what is needed to help them live.
- The IPAB will determine which drugs will be covered and at what price.
- Think about not getting the drugs we need, or not being able to afford them.
- Government will have a say in how our lives end.
12. Small Businesses (Section 6056, 1513)
- Small businesses cannot grow because of healthcare costs
- Hiring and expanding stop
- Services provided will be cut back
- Will have to raise prices to customers
- Cut employee hours and bonuses
- Possible staff reductions
13. Illegal Aliens (Immigrants) (Section 1312, F-3)
- Those without proper citizenship documentation will not have access to benefits.
- They cannot buy through Medicaid, Medicare, or state exchanges.
- Illegals are considered outside the system.
- However, they are still entitled to care through emergency rooms.
- By law they cannot be denied treatment, regardless of citizenship.
- Many employers will avoid employer mandate by hiring new immigrants.
- Why? They will not have to pay insurance costs on illegals.
14. Patient Privacy Gone
- Government will require insurance companies to give them every person's health record.
- They will have records of all who have private plans.
- Personal, and for some, painful health records will be known by others.
- Our records will be placed in a government database for others to see.
- We no longer have control over who has our medical information.
- New healthcare navigators who will handle the exchanges will be hiredwithout background checks.
- They will have access to social security numbers and health records.
- Could this lead to identity theft?
- Reduced Quality of
- All doctors will receive same pay, regardless of specialty.
- This will reduce the number of specialists in the U.S.
- The government could tell doctors to give us a stint when a bypass is needed. The bypass may be too expensive.
- The government will want to cut costs.
- See what happened to socialized medicine in Canada and Great Britain.
16. Loss of Religious Freedoms
- Obamacare contraceptive and abortion drugs are mandated.
- Religious institutions will be mandated to provide coverage for both.
- It will violate many people's religious convictions.
- It will give the government power to dictate how religious institutions behave.
- Hobby Lobby refused to comply.
- They could potentially be fined $1.3 million a day in penalties for all workers nationwide.
- Christian businesses and private schools will be fined if they do not comply.
17. Wellness Programs
- Employers can charge up to 50% more for health insurance if employees do not meet certain health standards.
- Will the government ultimately decide what is healthy and what is not healthy?
- The government will have access to all our health records.
- They will know who suffers with what diseases.
- Could we be fined if our blood pressure rises?
- Employers will be forced to enforce this.
- There may be penalties for poor health and rewards for good health.
- Why? It saves the government money in health costs.
18. Healthcare Premium Costs Will Skyrocket
- Insurance companies now required to cover over 30 million new people.
- Preexisting conditions will now have to be covered.
- If they must cover more people, then we will have to pay more money for premiums.
- Insurance rates are increasing 72% in Indiana and more in other states, like Ohio and Florida.
- Aetna Insurance CEO and President Mark Bertolini states that premiums will double for individuals, small businesses, and health consumers.
19. Obamacare Summary
- It redistributes healthcare resources from Medicare recipients (care for elderly).
- Resources will go to Medicaid coverage for uninsured.
- Seniors no longer a priority, even though they have worked for these resources.
- Obamacare is no more than socialized medicine.
- It will remove doctor/patient private privilege.
20. Step Toward Socialized Medicine
- It means more government control.
- It means loss of individual freedoms.
- People will live for the state and eventually become servants to the government.
- It will no longer be "We the People;" instead it becomes "We the Government."
- Previous authoritative socialist regimes always seized healthcare for government control of the people.
21. Other Obamacare News
- Former Democratic Convention chairman Howard Dean opposes Obamacare.
- Montana Democratic senator Max Baucus states that Obamacare is headed for a train wreck.
- IRS employees say no to Obamacare. They know it is bad.
- IRS Chief Daniel Werfel does not want to switch to Obamacare. He knows it is bad.
- The President of United Union Roofers, Waterproofers, and Allied Workers are against Obamacare.
- Congress makes deal not to be on Obamacare. They know it is bad.
- Federal employees reject Obamacare. They know it is bad.
- Teamsters President James Hoffa says Obamacare will destroy the 40-hour workweek.
- There have been three delays on Obamacare, which means something is wrong.
- The President's hometown newspaper Chicago Tribune denounces Obamacare
"Socialized Medicine is the Keystone in the Arch
of the Socialist State."
– VladimirLenin, Russian communist and former Soviet leader in 1919
Could Socialized Medicine Lead to a Socialist Government in the U.S.?
Because Obamacare Means Loss of Freedoms and Choice for Americans
I agree that we need some form of affordable care to help all citizens, but this law will cause problems for many citizens. The hallmark of America is freedom and choice. This is socialized medicine. Socialism is about more government control and fewer freedoms for America. If the government can control our health, then they can control our lives. Who will dare oppose a government who will have the power to decide if we can get the treatment and medication we need, and/or decide whether we live or die? Obamacare will roll out in its entirety in January 2014. State exchanges open in October 2013. Please call your two senators and Congressmen. Tell them you want to see something done about Obamacare. I also highly recommend that you purchase and read the following books entitled The Obamacare Survival Guideby Nick Tate and Beating Obamacareby Dr. Betsy McCaughey.
Memphis, TN Congressmen and Senator Contact Information
- Congressman Marsha Blackburn, 7th Congressional District – 931-503-0391
- Congressman Steve Cohen, 9th Congressional District - 901-544-4131
- U.S. Senator Bob Corker - 901-683-1910
- U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander - 901- 544-4224
Please visit www.churchmemphis.org for Google references and articles of each point herein along with more detailed information.